I received some advice when I graduated, and here’s the amalgamation of it:
(I’m pretty sure these wise sages are just passing on advice read on the internet ;P)
- Life is short. Don’t waste it working like a dog for a corporation who won’t appreciate it.
- Life is very short. If you start a family, they should come before your work or you will regret it the rest of your life.
- An hour of sleep before midnight is worth two, and an hour of work before noon is worth two.
- If you screw up, don’t sweep it under a rug. It will eventually catch up with you.
- If you screw up, admit what happened immediately and move on. (Easier said than done).
- Always do the best job you can, no matter what the job is.
- If you wouldn’t work at your job for free, then you need to quit and find another job.
- Keep at the back of your mind that everyone is generally out for themselves.
- If you don’t ask, you’ll never receive (re: negotiations for salary or rate).
- Believe in yourself. If not, others won’t trust you either.
My favourites were: Do the best job you can, no matter what the job is and If you wouldn’t work at your job for free, then you need to quit and find another job.