Here’s the recipe to happiness folks: read the extensive and very interesting article here (Art of Manliness).
Here’s the summary of the whole article, and I made a note for myself of how many things I can check off from it.
Things that correlate to happiness include:
- at least $75,000 income –> Check? Income varies, but I don’t work the whole year either.
- spending money on other people and charity –> Check.
- spending money on experiences over material goods –> Check. Going to Asia in 2011!
- living close to your job –> Check. 5 minute commute, baby!!
- being older –> Er.. under 30 is not really old, so no.
- having a satisfying job –> Check! I love what I do.
- strong social ties –> Check! Am getting closer to my family & my friends by making an effort.
- regular, monogamous sex –> Check
7 out of 8 ain’t bad at all for me.
So you may be wasting your time:
- trying to be extremely wealthy
- wishing your were back in your 20s
- buying a bunch of junk
- enduring a lengthy commute to your job so you can have a bigger house
- being Boo Radley (a character from the book To Kill a Mockingbird)
- involuntary celibacy
So there you have it. The key factors to happiness