Broke by Choice did a fun exercise about how much the stuff in your purse would be worth.
She goes on to say that women carry ~$500 worth of stuff on any given day (!!!)
- Bag – $90 (I use my Lululemon one… honestly, it holds everything & has awesome pockets)
- Wallet – $50 (all leather, has all the compartments I need)
- Cellphone – $0 (came free with the plan.. and I am already due to “upgrade” for free to a new one if I lost it)
- Rose Salve Lip Balm – $9 (found it at Urban Outfitters in a tube! LOVE!)
- Cards – $50 (?? Driver’s license, health card, etc. They cost $$ to replace)
- Pouch with eating utensils – $10 (chopsticks, handkerchief, fork, knife, spoon)
- Purse Holder – $15 (holds my purse off the ground very nicely)
- Pouch with Miscellaneous items – $20 (earplugs, wet wipes, bandaids and so on)
- Reusable Bags x 2 – $15 (I hate being caught without a bag)
- Post-Its & Pen – $2
- Hand lotion – $5
- Sunglasses – $40
- Keys – $30 (to make and replace them all)
- Stamps – $5
Just these days while I’m working:
- GPS – $250 (I carry this around most days, as I travel on contract; otherwise, it stays at home)
- iPod – $200 (I play it in the car for my 3-hour long commute)
- 2 x USB keys – $200 (to backup my work while on client site)
- Calling Card – $5
FINAL TOTAL THESE DAYS: $996
That was an interesting exercise.
I carry anywhere from $350 – $1000 worth of stuff in my purse on any given day.
I guess it’s the reason why I’m so darn paranoid about my purse all the time.