These 2 weeks, I will be covering what I pack for three types of trips:
- Short Weekend-like Getaway
- A Week-long Business Casual Trip
- Overseas 3-week long Vacation
In separate posts I will talk about the following:
- Wardrobe portion for the three trips
- Toiletries, Makeup and Tools
- Electronics & Other things
5 things to consider when you pack:
1. Think about where you are going & the purpose of the trip
If it’s a business trip, I am clearly going to bring mostly business casual items.
If it’s to a family member’s home, I think ahead of what we might possibly end up doing.
2. You can always borrow or buy what you need in a pinch
This stops my overly paranoid side from thinking: but what if I NEED this when I get there?
More often than not, I packed the item in question and never used it once.
3. Wear things twice
No one will really notice if you pick neutral items rather than very recognizable patterns or colours, and wear them spaced out during the time.
It’s why neutrals work the best, and you can accent it with accessories.
4. Make things do double duty
Need to bring something that will go well with a dress for the night as well as business casual?
Think about bringing a pair of knee-high boots or a low pair of heels so you can wear the shoes with both outfits.
And if you bring a wrap dress, you can wear it with boots for a dressier outfit, or ballet flats for a more casual feel.
5. Be willing to go a bit natural
I never bring my whole makeup stash for example.
What’s the point? Just bring the essentials, and keep the entire paint kit at home.
Sacrifice a bit of “beauty” and live a little.