As a review of the last time I wrote about what I’ve eliminated that I no longer miss a year ago posted in April 2009, here is my new, updated list:
The original list of what I cut out:
- Spa Beauty Treatments — Misleading, I am not really into pedicures, manicures or facials
- Wash, cut and blow dry; now just a dry cut
- Paper towels
- Fabric softener
- Ready-to-defrost-or-eat meals
- CD’s — I buy the tunes I want on iTunes
- DVD’s — BF is more into this than me
- Buying lunch — 99% of the time when I work
- Fizzy pop
- Credit card interest — Misleading. I’ve never paid any.
- Gift wrap
- Bottled water
- Cleaning items — I use baking soda and vinegar
- Handbags (Another big fat no for me. I love bags, shoes and jewellery. What can I say?)
April 2009 Additions:
- Student Loan interest debt — WOO HOO! I am debt free!!
- Shampoo Long hair in the summer takes too long to wash without shampoo. Am using green brands now.
- Conditioner Surprisingly, my hair gets very dry without conditioner. Switched back.
- Hair styling products in general
- Feminine products — Using the Diva Cup now
- Cable TV — I watch it online
- Books — I got some books for review, but now I read e-books
- Any kind of fruit juice or sugary drink as a regular grocery item
- Paper Statement — Saves me $1.00 each cycle, as per my corporation’s bank
- Accountant fees — I do my own taxes with UFile — dead easy, and QuickBooks for my corporation
- Gym Fees — I cycle and walk
- Dishwashing detergent
- Laundry detergent
- Starbucks — Got violent motion sickness last time & now associate that taste with nausea
- Cupcakes — Ditto. Belly hurt after overdosing on cupcakes.
- Paying for fees to check in bags when I fly—I never check anything in. 2 carryons, max
- Tissue Paper as Napkins — Bought cloth napkins
- Car insurance & leases—$300/year in full, bought car outright in cash
- Organic foods that have thick, inedible skins — What’s the point?
- Pens/Paper/Pencils — I have enough stock to start my own elementary school
April 2010 Additions:
- Plastic Bags — I use reusable ones now
- Paper Towels (Conquered!)
- All Tissue Paper! (I use handkerchiefs now)
- Fancy flavoured chemical creamers (Stuck vanilla bean seed pods into brown sugar for scent. Good enough!)
- Batteries — I try to get rechargeable lithium ion items, and I use these USB-powered Double AA batteries
- Paying for GPS and Car Rental Damage & Waiver Fees — Got a Visa to cover those fees if I pay with the card
- Giving and Receiving Christmas Cards and Gifts — I’d rather go out to have coffee
- Commercially-made Pita Bread, Cookies and Biscuits — I bake it myself, and avoid the preservatives
- Body Lotion & Hair conditioner that is not more basic — I now use shea butter, olive oil and coconut oil
I think I am near the end!