What I had originally estimated
Original Budget = $1500
And the whole trip back to Ontario which I figured I’d budget an additional $1000 for.
What actually happened
Income = $2550.74
- $1500 = From Savings
- $1050.74 = Side/Found Income
From Savings = $1500
I budgeted $1500 from my Savings because I’m unemployed for the entire month. I like to call it ‘beached’ instead of “benched” (the industry term for unemployed/un-contracted consultants)
Side/Found Income = $1342.70
Then throughout the course of the month I tallied up what I had in my wallet and made money on the side doing other freelancing work (designs).
I also returned a book and had a Mastercard refund of $24.15, which I had to use up.
My Final January Budget = $2842.70
- Expanded and Finalized Budget Categories
- Budgeted an impromptu $1000 total towards the vacation
And this is how I spent it…….
I still went over budget by $349.57. *sigh*
I didn’t really expect Transportation, Wardrobe, Books & Gifts to be so far over budget…
Okay I lied.
I think I kind of expected myself to over spend in those categories, but I tried to rein in the spending keeping that in mind, while staying under my impromptu $1000 budget.
But those sales were just too tempting with those wrap dresses on sale(!), and I did end up spending way more in Gifts because of my mom’s lack of winter attire.
- Groceries: Went over my budget. BF and I overate. Oops.
- Transportation/Gas: Car rental, Taxis, Gas, Public Transportation tokens.. it all adds up!
- Eating Out: My parents don’t keep food in the home, and most of this was spent in Ontario.
- Electronics: Bought a Pink Shuffle and a Garmin Nuvi 255W GPS. Both long lusted after.
- Travel: Was not Transportation. I bought 2 suitcases with this for my move to Dallas.
- Jewellery: I figured I’d spend something, but I overspent on the deals I saw.
- Junk Food: I’m surprised I’m under. I had promised myself to pig out in Ontario..
- Miscellaneous: Tax software purchase and went to the Auto show.
ASSETS = $74,675.50
- Emergency Fund for 2 years = $36,000
- General Savings = $2850
- Retirement = $16,641.46 (Market Value) — Book Value is $24,507.44
- Business = $19,184.04
LIABILITIES = $0
Man that stock market gave me a real beatin’! Down 33%. Still, better than 100% I say. It’ll pick up.
NYE 2009 Resolutions Tracking:
- Save 50% of new income = $350 (half of $694.96) – CHECK!
- Tracked expenses and set a budget – CHECK!
- Stay on $1500 budget when not working – FAIL?
- Increase Net Worth to $150,000 – TOO SOON TO TELL IF I FAILED, HAH!
Next month will be more quiet and less spendy.
I won’t be doing any travelling, so I’ll be sticking close to home for a while longer.
Maybe I’ll end up on a contract. I’ve been getting a lot of calls lately. And I just had a promising bite from someone today.
I hope I get it soon so I can work in the meantime before I flit off to Dallas.